Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

Three Awards from My Blogging Friends!



I was nominated for the Sunflower Blogger Award from Faye at Labor Not In Vain and Rina at Rina’s Reading; and The Liebster Award from Alyssa Faith at Literary and Lace.  Wow, I’m feeling loved, thanks ladies!!!! 

I’d like to respond to the Sunflower award first.

The Rules:
1.       Share 11 facts about yourself
2.      Answer the 11 questions the previous blogger asked
3.       Tag 11 bloggers and ask them 11 questions

11 Facts:
1.     I write with my left hand (I do almost everything else with my right hand..lift heavy things, throw, high five, place purse strap on right shoulder, and so forth)
2.     I have a Bachelor’s Degree in English
3.     I still haven’t framed my college degree yet, but I keep meaning to
4.     I love snow globes even though I never see snow

5.     I still love video games, especially the lego ones, but I haven’t been playing them much in the summer as I now make time to write seriously
6.     I’m an aspiring author (not sure of the genre yet, whatever God leads me to do)
7.     I love praying for my family
8.     My favorite part of church is the worship, I’m always lifted up by my church’s worship band
9.     I have two younger brothers and a nephew that I love wholeheartedly, the three of them and my dad are my heroes
10.                          I’m fasting soda and have gone 4 weeks without it (am in amazement and praising God for that)
11.     I had a speech impediment growing up and one summer my dad took me to speech therapy……between praying and the therapy I was healed of that within weeks and never struggled with it again





11 Questions from Faye:







1.     What are you planning on reading this summer?  Let me look at my lists (amazon, goodreads and my blog)……these are my rewards this summer, not reviews.  Perilous Waters by Sandra Orchard,  Tide and Tempest by Elizabeth Ludwig, Firewall by DiAnn Mills, The River of Time Series by Lisa Bergren, The Silver Sword by Angela Hunt (re-read), King by RJ Larson, Starters/Enders by Lissa Price and some ebooks (You Made Me Love You by Vogt, The Wedding Game by Matayo, Watched by Hogan, Untraceable by Johannes, Sisters Divided by Davis, Rescue Team by Calvert, Phantoms in Philadelphia by Vantana, Necessary Proof by Tang, The Hawk Series by Pura, Marry Me by Wallace, My Revised Christmas List by Mangum and many more).




from the author's website

2.      What book are you dying to read?  Revolutionary by McGee, Remnants by Bergren, Storm Siren by Weber, and Of the Persecuted by Brashear (off the top of my head).  I heard that Brad Thor’s The Athena Project is becoming a movie….I read it once before and loved it but don’t remember the story so I got it from my library and will read it again.




3.     What TV show are you most excited to have return?  I don’t watch much TV, but Rizzoli & Isles comes to mind (best friend cops).  I believe they’re in the 5th season and I just love that show.  I was heartbroken about the death of Lee Thompson Young and I’m glad they made an episode to honor him.  Other shows I’m interested are Defiance, Believe, and Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (when they’re available).

4.     What surprising talent do you possess?  I spoke with my nephew about this and the first thing he said was writing.  However, I’m also really good at giving massages to my loved ones, I’m good at video games, and I can throw a Frisbee really well J

5.     What was the last book you read?  I’m currently reading Shock Wave by Dana Mentink.  







6.     What book (besides the Bible) would you recommend to have everyone in the world read?  Woo, that’s a tough one.  I’d say A Marriage Carol by Fabry and Chapman.  Just loved how it was written and I totally support books that speak highly about marriage and family.  I’d also recommend Dinner with a Perfect Stranger series by David Gregory.  Short stories that are powerful.




7.     Where is your favorite place to read?  My room, I have quiet and privacy there.

8.     What is your biggest fear when going shopping?  It’s not a fear, but I never enjoy trying things on.  It looks so good on the rack, but it’s rare when I find a love match when trying on clothes.   I also don’t like it when I see jewelry online that catches my interest and then I go to the department store and there’s nothing like it available.

9.     Do you like ebooks?  I prefer print, but ebooks are fine.  I think I’ll enjoy them more when I have something easier to read them on.

10.  What is your favorite book genre?  Christian fiction, clean speculative fiction, and clean YA fiction.  I think those are the genres I’m writing the most in also.

11.  What is your favorite childhood book that you still love today?  The Chronicles of Narnia; the magic, adventure and innocence in those books still captivate me today!





11 questions from Rina:

1.     If you could travel back in time and be the proverbial fly on the wall, where and when would you go?  Wow, what a good question!  I’d want to see what happened when Amelia Earhart disappeared in 1937.  I’d also want to witness one special day in the life of Queen Esther from the Bible and one day during King Solomon’s time while he was building the temple for God.



2.     Favorite Genre:  Christian fiction, speculative fiction and clean YA fiction.

3.     Favorite aspect of blogging:  “Meeting” other book bloggers and author friends, I treasure all of them.

4.     Least favorite part of blogging:  it used to be deadlines, but I no longer stress about that.  If I got behind, that’s part of life, and I make sure to have the review ready in an honorable way.  Now my least enjoyable part of blogging is writing a review when I didn’t connect with the book or the book just didn’t keep my interest like I thought it would. 

5.     If you could swap places with a book character, who would it be and for how long?  There are not many books I would want to enter so I need to consider this.  Okay, I would trade places with Kayden from Silenced on the day of her brother’s wedding and to have the dance with Jake; With Shannon from Rise & Shine when she has dinner at her best friend’s house and is with Daniel; With Susan from Narnia when the Pevensie children are being crowned at the end (what a great day that is!); with the mom in The Case of the Crafty Christmas Crooks because I would love to see the cats in action and just be around them at Christmas; and with Tori from So Not Okay at the end when they’re all in the principal’s office settling the entire plot.  I think those are good places to trade!

6.     What’s the longest you’ve stayed awake?  Probably 18 hours.  I’ve stayed up way late for books several times and once pulled an all nighter at a slumber party in middle school because I didn’t trust the girls at the party.  I don’t recommend doing that.









7.     What are the next three books on your to read list?  The Silver Sword by Angela Hunt, King by RJ Larson, and Storm Swept by Dana Mentink  We’ll see J

8.     Where do you get most of your books from?  Mostly blogging, but also from paperbackswap.com and the library.




9.     Favorite place to read?  My room J

10.   You’ve been invited to a literary costume party.  Who will you dress as?  Oh my….. 

I googled 1403 gowns and these Victorian images came up so I hope I did this right J  I would wear one of these to the ball with Gisela from The Captive Maiden, er I mean the costume party.  


And I also found this dress online and just loved it



11.   What is the most memorable thing you’ve learned from a book?  Unconditional love and forgiveness are probably the most powerful themes illustrated in books for me.  True friendship is another good one, but I’d probably go with forgiveness.  I love messages with repenting and forgiveness, it never gets old for me J





I will not be tagging anyone for this award because most of my friends have already been chosen, but you are ALL welcome to answer these questions and/or respond to this award either in the comment section or on your own blog.  I want to thank Faye and Rina once again for nominating my blog, you both blessed me!



Now I’ll respond to The Liebster Award, thanks Alyssa Faith!!
Thank and link back to the person who nominated you.
List 11 facts about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.  Nominate 9 bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers (not the blogger who nominated you).
Ask them 11 questions.
Let them know about the nomination.
I looked up the meaning of Liebster and here’s what I found:  Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.



11 facts:
1.     I can speak some Spanish
2.     I like to snack on wintergreen tic tacs while reading
3.     When watching a movie, my favorite candy is snow caps and hershey’s cookies and cream bar

4.     My favorite color is purple…I have a purple teddy bear, a purple tank top, a purple wallet, purple scissors, love purple pens, I have an attraction to purple bookcovers, purple hair clips, and I have a stunning purple journal with purple bookmark
5.     I love silver jewelry (mostly necklaces or pendants)
6.     I once had blue highlights in my hair and am praying for the day when my hair is long enough to do this again….this time I also want to add purple highlights and go bolder/more contrasting with the color (my mom and I see the same hairdresser and she’s excited about doing this process for me)
7.     I love foreign accents, in movies or in person (I tell people in public or in church how great their accent is, that’s soo cool)
8.     I’m not into sports at all, but I cheer for my nephew’s favorite teams (and my dad and brothers when they watch a game)
9.     Favorite movies are Aliens (the only scary movie I loved-Ripley is definitely one of my movie heroes), 9 to 5, 27 Dresses, Robots (animated), Avengers, 13 Going on 30, Finding Nemo, Frozen, Kate & Leopold, The Holiday, Ever After, Horton Hears a Who, Return to Me, The Ice Princess, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Date Night, Noises Off, Father of the Bride (Steve Martin), While You Were Sleeping, Regarding Henry, etc.
10.                          If I’m aware that a movie I want to see is a book, I try to read the book first (City of Ember, The Green Mile, Pride and Prejudice, even Spiderman with Tobey Maguire, Narnia, Lord of the Rings-not The Hobbit)
11.                          I live in South Florida, but I have traveled to Ohio, Michigan, California, Maryland (loved Washington DC), Jamaica and Mexico…..would love to see Italy, Ireland, France, Scotland, England, Australia, New York, and other parts of the world someday

11 questions from Alyssa Faith:

1.     If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?  I’d start with Ireland (see above facts).

2.     Favorite music?  Christian rock (Fireflight), movie soundtracks (The Perfect Man, What a Girl Wants, The Ice Princess, and Lemonade Mouth) and contemporary worship (variety).







3.     Favorite movie?  Don’t have just one!  Aliens (the only scary movie I loved-Ripley is definitely one of my movie heroes), 9 to 5, 27 Dresses, Robots (animated), Avengers, 13 Going on 30, Finding Nemo, Frozen, Kate & Leopold, The Holiday, Ever After, Horton Hears a Who, Return to Me, The Ice Princess, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Date Night, Noises Off, Father of the Bride (Steve Martin), While You Were Sleeping,  What a Girl Wants, Lemonade Mouth, and Regarding Henry, etc.



4.     Favorite Book (One True Pairing or Fave Book Couple)OTP?  The most recent book that I thought of for this was Juliana and The Pirate Earl from MaryLu Tyndall’s The Ransom.  There are others I’ve loved, but that’s the most recent one I could think of.

5.     Favorite book of all time?  Hmmm….how about top 3?  That’s still too difficult but I’ll try!  Anything by Angela Hunt, Rachelle McCalla, or MaryLu Tyndall and that just skims the surface J  (for all my author friends reading this, don’t worry you’re still my fave!)

6.     Cake or Pie?  Easy, cake for me J

7.     Favorite TV Program? (new or old) Friends and Rizzoli & Isles, both make me laugh and give me enjoyment.

8.     If you could travel to any time period, what would it be?  Probably medieval times because I’ve read so many good adventures from that time frame.

9.     Summer or fall and why?  Fall because the weather in south florida is much nicer at that time and I love that time of the year.



10.    Favorite candy? Snowcaps, caramello bar and hershey’s cookies and cream.

11.    Paperback or Ebook? Definitely paperback!


Questions I ask:
1.     What was your fave childhood toy?
2.     Favorite movie?
3.     What’s the longest book you’ve ever read (title or page count)?
4.     Do you prefer to read fiction or nonfiction?
5.     Have you ever been part of a street team or influencer for an author? If so how many and what do you like best about being part of the team?
6.     What new authors have you read this year?
7.     What do you like best about blogging?
8.     Favorite place to read?
9.     Favorite genre?
10.  Did you ever read a book that you didn’t finish?  What are the reasons you would quit a book? (just wondering if I’m the only one, this can be a yes or no answer, no need to name the book unless you want to)
11.  Print or Ebook?


All right!   That was fun!  Now here are the 10 blogs I’m tagging and again, if your blog isn’t listed and you’d like to participate, please go for it J  I read each of these blogs actively and they bless me.  ONLY participate if you want to, no pressure J   
Charity U at Austentitis
Marian at Marian Baay
Beautiful Gwen at Serving Through Words

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! I can't even list all the things we have in common, there are so many, other than spec fic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's so great Anne! Your blog is so wonderful and I'm blessed we have much in common :)

      Delete
  2. How fun, Kara! Congratulations on the awards! It's great to learn more about you. :) My favorite color is purple, as well, and I love your answer to when you'd go back in time. It would be interesting to know what exactly happened to Amelia Earhart...

    I'm honored to be nominated! Thank you so much for thinking of me and my blog. :) If it's all right, I'll answer the questions here:

    1. I had a lot of favorite childhood toys. ;) But there was this one stuffed black cat with white paws that I got at the hospital the day my sister was born... He was on the headboard of my bed for quite a while through the years. :)

    2. I have several movies that I absolutely adore! But how about I name one of my recent favorites? I just love The Croods! That movie ended up being my birthday party theme this year. ;) (You're never too old, right?)

    3. I'm not entirely sure. I'm not positive I've read every single part of the Bible, but I think I've read most if not all of it now (some books multiple times) - just not in order from beginning to end. :) That would probably be the longest. Then maybe school reading, or fantasy/dystopian books...although some historicals are lengthy, too. I confess that I prefer my fiction to be not too long, though.

    4. Fiction. Definitely!

    5. I was part of MaryLu Tydnall's Motley Crew for a while, and I really enjoyed that. I love her books, and I loved the way she themed everything with pirates and made her crew members feel special. :) As for other influencer teams, I guess I've sort of been part of multiple ones - mostly just being on the list for a free book in exchange for reviewing/spreading the word. It's a win-win, although I confess I've got a stack of unread review books that have been languishing there for far too long. :(

    6. Good question! Kelly Martin, Lani Woodlad & Melonie Piper (co-authors), Shannen Crane Camp, Rachel Heffington (and the other Five Glass Slippers gals!), Stephanie Landsem (The Thief was amazing!), Karen Halvorsen Schreck, Ann Lee Miller, Amy Matayo, Lindsey Leavitt, Lori Benton (I LOVED The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn), Amy Vastine, Lauren Skidmore, Rosamund Hodge, Hannah L. Clark, Annnette K. Larsen, Meghan M. Gorecki, Yvonne Anderson, Shannon Hale, Nicole Deese, and Karey White.

    7. The friendships. :) And the chance to stop, ponder, and articulate my thoughts on life/books/etc.

    8. My favorite place to read is probably in bed. I do enjoy reading in other places (anywhere, really!), but you can read for long periods of uninterrupted time while in bed. ;)

    9. I love inspirational historical romance, but I've also become a big fan of clean YA/NA (like you!) - usually fairy tales, fantasy, or contemporary romance. Mostly, I love creative stories with a good dose of sweet romance and adventure. :)

    10. Yes, there are definitely books I don't finish or set aside. I guess if I don't feel the pressure to review (and there was at least one time, even when I was supposed to review it... :\), I don't push myself through a book that's really not holding my attention. Sometimes I'll just skim through. I guess it just depends.

    11. Both, please. :) I'll always love print books, but ebooks are just so handy (and generally easier on the wallet)!

    Thank you again, Kara!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh, just LOOOOOOVE your comment/answers, AMBER!! You should see the big smile you put on my face, wow :)

      thanks for the congrats and yeah, I've always wanted to know what happened to Amelia....I pray she didn't suffer, she was so courageous!

      you're very welcome! you bless my socks off with your blog and you're such a sweet friend to authors and readers alike, I definitely speak for others when saying that :)

      Aww, such a cute toy attached with a precious memory! my fave toy was a cabbage patch doll and wondered about others :)

      totally agree with you on these answers, even though my details slightly differ :)

      another reason i've stopped reading a book is because it offended me, that or it didn't interest me enough to see it through. doesn't happen often, but since there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many great books waiting for my attention, don't want to waste precious time on one that doesn't grab me from the start.

      the Bible definitely counts as the longest book even if you haven't read it fully yet......it's principles are written on your heart and it's message never gets stale. great answer! I was thinking of a 700 page fiction book, but the Bible is perfect :)

      glad you love BOTH print and ebook, best of both worlds :)

      thanks again for answering my questions and keep up the good work, BOTH in your new job (woo hoo and high fives on that one!), your business, your writing and the blog!! everything you put your heart to just shines through, Amber, hugs my friend :) Congrats once again on being nominated!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this put a smile on my face. Thank you sooo much for thinking of me, Kara! I loved learning more about you!

    So cool that you're left-handed. Me too, believe it or not, lol! Yeah, I KNEW we were kindred spirits. ;-) And you know, I've been reaching more for Spec when it comes to reading as well, though I'm not certain I could write it (beyond FTSOOL, which isn't really Spec to me.) And honestly, I'm not sure what genre I'm cut out for either. I read all kinds of genres, which makes me feel a bit wishywashy, lol, but I always go back to Historical Romantic Suspense.

    I'm dying to read "Of the Persecuted" too! And I've already decided that if I get my hands on it first, I'm mailing it to you. ;-) Oh, and "Kate and Leopold" is one of my favorite movies! While rooming with a friend, I lost my KAL DVD, and I was so upset. So it was a special blessing from the Lord when my husband pointed out that our Roku player (its a weird thing we have in place of cable) had KAL available for free! :-)

    Bless you Kara, and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey beautiful Gwen, soooo happy to put a smile on your sweet face!!! that's sooo great we're both lefties, NICE :) We are kindred spirits, I'm not surprised by this at all! I think you could write anything as God shows you....I never believed I could truly write a book until God put it on my heart. Now I won't be satisfied until I do have a ready manuscript, I know the same is possible with you, my friend. We have to write what God leads us to write and we'll never be the same as we submit to Him daily :)

      You're so good to me, it's a deal regarding Of the Persecuted! I would love that :) I don't have any reading friends where I live so I'm blessed to share these books with you and reading friends. Yay for Kate & Leopold! Seriously, Jackman melts my heart everytime I see that :) So glad you got the movie back. Never heard of Roku, but sounds like a good deal :)

      Thanks for your wonderful comment, Gwen, hugs and smiles to you!!

      Delete
  4. I'm honored to be nominated, Kara! Awesome that you thought of me. I loved reading through your post and learning more about you. I see we have two books in common on our summer reading list--Lisa Bergren's and Angie Brashear's. Cool! :) They're both waiting for me on my Kindle. Can't wait to get to them.Let me know how you liked them when you've finished. First I have a story to finish before I can get to reading them, so it will probably be late summer when I get a chance to read them.
    I'll see if I have time to answer your questions next week. Not sure about that, but I'd like to do it if I can. Thank you for blessing me! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marian! So glad I could honor you and that you enjoyed this presentation :) I will definitely let you know once I've read them! Take your time answering the questions, it's at your convenience, my friend. I'm so very proud of your blog and your writing, hugs and blessings!

      Delete
  5. Awesome! I feel like I learn so many wonderful things about you today. It sounds like you have a wonderfully monstrous TBR pile much like I do for the summer :) Thanks so much for accepting the award, I LOVED your post!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FAYE, so good to see your comment! I learned about myself while doing this, but it was fun putting together :) Yeah, I'm really working on that TBR pile so that it's not so gigantic. I think this year I'll finally have it balanced out :) Thanks for nominating me and for being such a great friend, glad you loved the post! Hugs to you Faye :)

      Delete
  6. Well, we are late to the show again, I'm afraid! But . . . better late than never . . . Anyway, what a wonderful post, and I cannot think of a better person to be nominated for not one, but two (yes, count 'em, two!!) awards!!! LOVE the dresses, and glad to hear you're a "Purple Girl", too! (Seriously, you mean there are other colors out there?) Thanks so much for mentioning Buckley and Bogey's Christmas book, too -- you and the boys would have such a great time together at Christmas. (Christmas is the best, you know!!) I can hardly wait to hear how it goes with the blue and purple highlights in your hair. So pretty. You'll need a gorgeous gown to go with it, and possibly a tasteful tiara . . . Women truly don't wear crowns enough these days . . .

    Thanks again for this wonderful post! Looking forward to hearing more about your work! We'll be praying for you as always. What a blessing you are to all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You save the best for last in your comments, Cindy, and you pour even more love out to me :) Thank you, my friend, you know how to make my day! LOL to your love of purple, EXACTLY my sentiments!! You're so welcome for the book mention, just loved reading it and how well you describe the boys :) I have no doubt the boys and I would have loads of adventures and laughter at Christmas *smiling BIG*

      I will definitely post pictures of the hair when I'm able to do those highlights :) Love the way you think with gown and tiara, how fun!

      Thanks for your wonderful comment and your prayers, your love and friendship is a tremendous blessing to me :) Love to you and the boys, hugs my friend!!

      Delete